Monday, April 28, 2008

The start of the study

Many of you know I was starting a study at Pennington, well today was the first day of the actually study. I went in this morning with a headache (no sure this was the best day for that) after fasting and no caffeine I finally took the 1st dose of what ever - either 10mg Lorcaserin HCI or a Placebo, after an hour was able to eat something but no caffeine till they took my blood pressure and heart rate after 1 hour 45 min (everything was fine) so needless to say my headache got worse but finally around 2pm it started to go away after drugs of course.
about 1/2 hour after taken the pill I started to get itchy - not too bad but I did notice it then I started to get light headed and kinda dizzy but that also was not too bad kinda a mild drunk feeling. So the question is was this my mind playing tricks on me or was it the drug?? I also did not want to eat the bar they gave me to eat after the hour passed and when I got home for lunch I had a really hard time eating my soup after 1/2 hour I gave up and could not finish it - but once again was it the pill or was it the headache?? I guess we will see what tomorrow brings! It is a double blind study so I will not know but the drug has show to increase in weight loss but once again I am on a restricted diet (1573 cals a day) and an increase in activity so that in and of itself would cause weight loss. So we will see. I am excited because I have someone to hold me accountable which is what I was looking for anyway. I have to go back on Monday and show them my food journal and I wear a pedometer. I am suppose to get 30 mins of exercise in 3 to 4 days a week -so today we went on a bike ride. If I do not do the 30 min then they want 10,000 steps which is still about an extra 30 minutes of walking. So like regardless of the pill I am going to lose weight - I might even look good for Mini's wedding!

Ok on to another subject - here is a spider we found in our back yard while Erik was moving some wood around. We called Bobby and Hallie - they both think it was a wolf spider so we looked it up and we agreed that was what it had to be - since it will not kill my children we threw it back over the fence so it could go else where to live. I knew we should have killed it but...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your study! It will be interesting to see which one you are on!

Glad you didn't kill that spider -yeah looks like a wolf to me - they eat TONS of bugs, that's a good one! :-) Glad we could help out!

I need to get moving - Bobbles went to the store and came home with WAY too much chocolate!

mamaof3girls said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pennington! It definately helps having to go see someone and weigh in. I find that because they are paying me, I really don't want to upset them so I try hard and am hard on myself when I stumble. Restricting your calories will definately help with the weight loss. Look how much I have lost, and I am not exercising so if you are doing both you should lose double the weight! How does this study work? Are some people not exercising or is it to see if you do all this and take the pill if those with the pill lose more? Just curious. Are they going to tell you at the end of the study if you were on the pill or not?

Mouse said...

Wow, I wish there was a Pennington study to help get my ass in gear for this wedding!!

megan said...

AGGGGGG! Horrible spider! But Halie and Bobby are right. It is a wolf spider! Ick, I hate them...I know, I know, does not quite go with the whole Biology teacher persona...I have come to terms with it. Nature needs to stay away from me!